Featured Meeting Destination
Drowning in the waters of Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi following Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans lay devastated, broadcasting to the entire world that the United States was unprepared for such an epic disaster.
The group loved General Honoré in New Orleans! Everyone in New Orleans worships the ground he walks on. A nice guy as well as a hero!" - Association of the Wall & Ceiling Industry
Working through the chaos where other leaders had failed, one leader changed the course of the tragedy--Lt. General Russel Honoré, commander of Joint Task Force Katrina and Louisiana native.
With an ever-present swagger and a booming voice, Honoré swooped into the city, taking charge, restoring order and hiding from no one. In his typical no-nonsense style, he urged everyone involved to not "get stuck on stupid."
Now, a global authority on leadership, General Honoré is the go-to expert on CNN on emergency and disaster preparedness and Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria crisis management. In his new book, "Don't Get Stuck on Stupid!," General Honoré uses his experiences in New Orleans to help others develop the leadership skills and know-how to manage crises and disasters of any kind as a frequently sought after keynote speaker for conferences hosted in the Crescent City.
From the best po’boys to the national landmarks and must-hear local bands, General Honoré offers his tips for enjoying the rich culture, celebrated food scene and unique musical heritage of Nawlins’ like a local:
- Recommended City Detours: Jackson Square's art vendors, Royal Street, one of the many house tours or museums. My wife and kids love the Voodoo Museum and the Hermann-Grima and Gallier home tours!
- Unique Excursions: One of the many plantations—Destrehan Plantation, Oak Alley (at the restaurant – order the red beans & rice!), Laura Plantation (offers a fabulous educational tour), Whitney Plantation and Houma House. Also, check out the WWII Museum—it’s a must-see!
- Sunday Brunch Hot Spot: Arnaud's or Muriel's (fun fact: General Russel Honoré is a descendant of Jean Baptist Destrehan, a one-time owner of the site of Muriel’s (ca. 1743-1765)
- Favorite Local Band/Musician: Ellis Marsalis (always playing on Friday nights at Snug Harbors!)
- Local Cocktail Of Choice: A Sazerac (I like the one in the Roosevelt Hotel, where my wife and I had our honeymoon!)